In the green and lush umbrian countryside, set as a jewel between Todi and Orvieto, there is a little medieval village called Morruzze. From the little square of the village it’s possible to enjoy the vast landscape and the beautiful view of the “Consolazione” church in Todi.

 

In the same little square you can see the majestic medieval Castle of Morruzze, built in 1147/1149, and its battlemented tower which has a 360o view reaching Corbara lake. The whole area is full of centuries-old trees. incrociate_2

Near the little square there is our farmhouse called:

 

Borgo Morruzze

The farmhouse is settled on a hillock by the village, and it has a wonderful view of Todi area and of the Perugia valley plenty of historical villages, majestic woods, centuries-old olive trees and vineyards of vintage grapes.

The whole complex has been recently restored, it is made of local stones, fired bricks and chestnut wood.

The simple and warm atmosphere gives our guests the opportunity to rest in a green paradise far away from noise and stress.

happy_family_light

Historical outlines

Morruzze is an hamlet of Baschi (TR).

The village is at 560 meters above sea level and it has 49 inhabitants, called “Morruzzesi”. The beautiful view from its square reaches Todi.

 

History

At the beginning Morruzze was a fortified villa (Villa Morrutiarum), built in 1147/1149 and more populated than the nearby Morre (75 inhabitants in 1290). The villagers overworked the woods for their survival and for selling the wood; they were under Todi’s administration and they participated at the construction of Montemarte’s Castle.

 

In 1348 many families lost their loved ones because of a plague epidemic, then the soldiers of Carlo VIII sacked the village.

Later the village was also sacked by Altobello Chiaravalle. Some local landowners were chosen to represent Morruzze in Todi (they were called i sergenti); at the end of their mandate they became members of the nobility.

 

During the centuries the village was depopulated and its parish church became part of Morre’s parish, in 1571. The palace was bought by the Paparini family in the XVII century. They made it larger and they created the oratory of S. Ambrogio. During the Napoleonic occupation it was part of the Town Council of Civitella and of the canton of Baschi.

 

Monuments and interesting places

  • • Church of San Giovanni
  • • Castle of Morruzze and its beautiful tower and park
  • • Buche del vento, galleries carved in the rock by the wind, where it’s possible to do speleological explorations
  • • Ruines of the Monastery of San Bartolomeo (1275), now used for tourism.